I promised more to come on my goals for this year. All of my goals have to do with relationships, I've found that this is an area that I struggle in. I get to a certain point and then kind of shut down, only revealing part of my heart. I was reading a GREAT book, called Brokenness by Nancy Leigh DeMoss and I remember thinking OUCH more than one time (or 10 times) while reading through, seeing my own pride, laziness and apathy in not only my relationship with God, but with those around me, most importantly, my husband and children. In her book Nancy mentions several times having the roof off and the walls down, meaning that our defenses are down from God, not trying to hide our sinfulness, which is impossible anyway (roof off) and we are REAL with the people around us (walls down). This REALLY got me thinking and led to my 2012 goals.
Goal # 1 is a deeper relationship with God, a more real and trusting relationship with Him. I desire to be a Godly woman as described in Proverbs 31 and someone who exudes the love of Christ to everyone around them. But to do these things, I must be filled with more of Him and less of me!! I've made this a regular "flare prayer" (you know, the ones you throw up when you're at a total loss of what to do!), I just pray "more of you, less of me, Lord". :)
*One area that needs work is how I spend my time! The computer can be SUCH a time waster for me!!
Ephesians 5:15-16 says "Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil."
I do not feel that I have been making the best use of my time and that affects EVERY relationship, not just my walk with God. So, internet time will only be for 1 hour during quiet time every day and then after the children are in bed if Nathan isn't home. If Nathan is home we usually end up watching something together while I knit. :)
*I will read my Bible EVERY DAY!
Hebrews 4:12 tells us "For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart."
If I want to set my heart straight, I NEED the word of God, I need it living in me, piercing to the division of soul and spirit and discerning my thoughts and intentions of my heart. My Bible time will be at 7 AM to start my day off on the right foot, hopefully little fella gets the memo on that one and doesn't start waking up at 6:45!
*I will pray without ceasing!
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 "Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."
Prayer does not have to only be at bedtime or when our circumstances drive us to our knees to ask for His comfort, we should be in conversation with God all of the time! Imagine if we only talked to our husband while lying in bed, falling asleep or when we were scared or worried. Our relationship would not be what it should, that's for sure! God should be our very best friend, the first one we go to with joy, with fear, with praise, with pleading, with everything!
*I will read encouraging books, ones that help me to be a better Christian, wife and mother. There are SO many wonderful books that I would like to read, so many wonderful authors who encourage others in their walk with God and in their ministries as wife and mother. I look forward to getting started on this! The next book I'm starting (again) is Shepherding a Child's Heart by Ted Tripp. I've started it a few times and then got distracted with other things and put it to the side. It's time to FOCUS!! I hope to share a review of sorts after I finish a new book
*I will be hospitable, making an effort to seek out friends and invite them to our home and build Biblical friendships.
"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17
This is NOT an area that I excel in, so it will certainly take relying on God to help make me more outgoing. But, having people around us who encourage our walk with God is SO important for us AND for our children! They need fellowship also!
*I will learn a new hymn a week.
"Sing to him; sing praises to him; tell of all his wondrous works!" 1 Chronicles 16:9
I love to sing and used to make a point to learn a new hymn every week. I've gotten out of that habit and want to bring it back. What a blessing it is to have these songs in your heart to draw from when you need them. Perhaps I will make a point to video the children once a week singing a new song since I will be doing this with them. :)
*Finally, I will memorize scripture, at least one new verse a week.
“You shall therefore lay up these words of mine in your heart and in your soul, and you shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes." Deuteronomy 11:18
We are told by God to put His words in our hearts and in our souls! If we can memorize every line of the newest song on the radio, they we should be able to memorize His word!
"All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness" 2 Timothy 3:16
This is HUGE!! If I want to be able to train my children, I NEED the word of God in my heart. I need to be able to speak His words into them, not my own!
I hope that anyone reading will feel free to ask me how I'm doing on these things (back to the whole "walls down" idea!) Accountability is always a blessing. :)
Slot Freebet Tanpa Deposit 2023
2 years ago
Those are wonderful goals Elizabeth! I haven't even posted my New Years goals yet.I should do that on my blog before it gets too late!
ReplyDeleteawesome, Elizabeth!!
ReplyDelete