Monday, September 8, 2008

1st day of school

We started our very first day of homeschooling today. Jayna and Quaid were both very excited and have been waiting for our first day for what seems like forever to them! We started off our school day reading and talking about our school Bible verse for this year. We are going to be memorizing lots of verses as part of our school work this year, but this is one that will be hanging on the wall all year and we will repeat every (or almost every) morning. Our verse for this year is Colossians 3:17--"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." We will also be learning the Pledge of Allegiance and reciting that each morning, but first we need to get a flag! We then had Bible time, reading from Psalms and Matthew.
Our other readings were from Our Island Story (the history of Britain), Rudyard Kipling's Just So Stories, and The Children's Garden of Verses.
Jayna also had math and copywork today and when we recieve our McGuffey's Readers in the mail, we will add those into our daily work. Today went really well, Jayna did awesome on her math and her copywork, her narration about our readings will need some work. :D For her copywork I found print-outs on
simplycharlottemason.com for her to do her copywork using the ten commandments. It is broken down into over 50 pages I think, so there are less than 10 words per page and we only do one page per day. Jayna had such a sense of accomplishment after doing this, it was awesome!! Poor Quaid didn't quite understand why he couldn't do everything that Jayna was doing, so I think I'm going to print out some alphabet "copywork" pages for him. Tommorow we will add in some things that I forgot about today (oops), like singing a hymn and maybe having Jayna and Quaid draw a picture of something they liked from one of the stories we read while narrating about it. It's quite an adventure and a little bit nerve wracking I must admit, but I'm looking forward to seeing my children grow and learn in ways that I've never imagined! I'm so thankful to God that He has given me this opportunity to be so involved in the education of my little ones and thankful to my Nathan that he is willing to work so hard so I can be at home to do this (not to mention that he's willing to put up with my craziness at times!).

6 comments:

  1. this is so awesome!!! congrats to everyone for having a good first day of school!!! =)

    I'm so proud of you Nikki, you don't even know... congrats cuz!

    Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jayna, Quaid, Roanen and Avelyn...what an amazing first day of school! TREMENDOUS! When Grandpa and I get up there, can we do some school with you? I love how you are holding baby Avelyn. Roanen, is your hair RED?
    Hugs and kisses from Grandma and Grandpa H.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like fun!! When did you get the little wooden kitchen? Did Roanen talk you into it after all the time he spends playing with ours?? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. how do you do it girl? I'm very proud of you..the kids looked like they were sooo excited...love you all

    ReplyDelete
  5. so we taught grandma liv how to use the computer today and look at your page... i'm not sure that we got as far as leaving comments, but at least she can look on her own now =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how all of them are barefoot :) What a beautiful bunch :) I just love them all. Talk to you soon. Lots of love

    ReplyDelete