Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Fun dying wool

When I started looking into knitting wool longies for Avelyn I noticed that a lot of people dye their own wool yarn so they can create their own colorway. I thought they were crazy and I would never do such a thing, thinking that it must be labor intensive and nearly impossible to try to do with any children around.
Well, I happened upon a post about how to dye yarn in your crockpot with kool-aid and thought it would be fun to give it a try! So, I roped my dear husband into helping me to unwind my Lion Brand Fisherman's Wool (the cheapest stuff you can get I think...I didn't want to waste a bunch of money if it didn't work!) and then re-wind it around the table the proper way for dying. (Isn't he a peach?? :D) I then had to soak it overnight and the next morning I put it in the crockpot with lemonaid kool-aid, cherry kool-aid, and some blue food coloring.
This is it hanging to dry...notice there are a lot of undyed spots...I tried to dye WAY too much at one time!!
Here is my very LARGE ball of home dyed yarn, hehe. Don't even ask how long it took me to wind that thing by hand! All in all it was a fun thing to do and I'm definately going to do it again, a lot better next time since I have worked a couple of the bugs out!

3 comments:

  1. that is so cool. You are such a crafty women. I just love how you are doing all of these things. I hope we get to move up there with you guys we would have so much fun. Love and miss you tons

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Great Grandma Jacobson would be so impressed! She was the knitter, and where it has come from in the Jacobson family...and now it has crossed into the "in" law part of our family! Actually, I've never dyed any wool so it might be a really fun project when we are up there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy Moly Girl!!! You are so crafty :) I love the dye and the pants are adorable and cozy! Way to go you and nice work Nathan :)
    Love, Jen

    ReplyDelete