
I am always looking for ways to cloth diaper in the cheapest ways possible....after all, one of my reasons for CDing is to save money! We have gone the cheapest route with Roanen and in building the CD stash for the new baby and that is prefolds and covers. For those not in the CDing loop, prefolds are the white diapers that are most commonly used these days for burp clothes. Well, up to this point I have bought PUL covers, they are nothing fancy, most of the ones I have are plain white that velcro closed and of course they are waterproof. There are some with fun colors and designs, but I'm much to cheap....er, uh, frugal....for that. :D Anyway, I found this pattern for a fleece or wool soaker (another CDing term for cover) and didn't think it looked too hard, so here is the final product. Roanen loves it...he dances around when I put it on him! There is a prefold on under the soaker (tie-dyed orange the other day, no more plain white diapers around here), the prefold is snappied on (modern day way to keep the diaper on w/out pins) and then I put the fleece soaker on over that. I love it and I'm going to make him some more, then I'm going to get some girly fabric to make some for the still nameless baby. I'm also going to try to make her some skirtys...they are the same pattern to begin with, but you sew a skirt in between the waistband and middle section, so it's a skirt with a built in soaker underneath.

I'm also keeping my eyes peeled for wool sweaters at thrift stores and garage sales to make soakers, skirtys and longies (pants) out of. I'd LOVE to be able to knit the baby some wool skirtys, but I don't think my knitting capabilities are up to the task quite yet...maybe someday though! For now I'll just stick with my sewing machine.
Yay for prefolds!! I too have been too cheap for others (although I have bought a couple of pocket dipes on sale). I use a cover called wonder wraps. I love them because they have snaps to adjust the rise, making them useable from 8-35lbs. They're still $13 each, but a better deal than buying three different size covers. Oh, and no snappi necessary!
ReplyDeleteI've been looking into the wonderwraps for a while, but keep reading mixed reviews. How do you like them?? Did you use them at first when Jacob was born or where they too bulky? I found some on www.diaperswappers.com that I'm thinking of buying and then selling the covers that I have for Roanen now, since I think I'm gonna just switch to fleece soakers for him since he's older and more squirmy! :D
ReplyDeletethat is soooo cute..I love them..
ReplyDeleteLooks like fun...I guess!! I'm really enjoying being past the diaper stage. I miss a lot of it, but not this part. Although...those tye-dyed covers DO look pretty cute...:-)
ReplyDeleteElizabeth, I didn't start them with Jacob until 3 weeks, but they seemed to fit fine. Not as slim as a prorap or anything, but I didn't mind. The construction is great, but not amazing. I love the colors and the way they look, but the snaps could be a little bit better quality (if you're on the lowest setting and tug too hard the snaps will come undone), and they will eventually leak (but it takes a lot to do that). I am finding they are often leaking with my 2 year old (having a tough time finding a fold that works well with him), but snappi-ing the prefold seems to work ok. I'll have to try my one fleece cover on him (if it fits). Plus, that little rascal should be out of diapers soon anyway... Long review short, I love them enough to buy them over anything else out there, but they could be improved :)
ReplyDeletepretty cute! Am I going to be able to figure all this out when we get up there?
ReplyDeleteCan't WAIT to see everyone. AND that new baby!!!!!
I still think Nora is a great choice.